Q. How many environmentalists does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Ten. One to write the light bulb a letter requesting that it change. Four to circulate online petitions. One to file a lawsuit demanding it change. One to send the light bulb loving kindness, knowing that this is the only way real change occurs. One to accept the light bulb precisely the way it is, clear in the knowledge that to not accept another is to do great harm to oneself. One to write a book about how and why the light bulb needs to change. And finally, one to smash the #$^#&ing light bulb, because we all know it's never going to change.
I laugh at this joke. I also scoff at those who vehemently oppose drilling in the United States, but do not oppose drilling in foreign countries(after all, isn't it doing just as much "damage" and killing as many endangered species in that foreign land as it would in our own land?). Furthermore, I laugh when my pro-life poster is torn down because I drew a picture of a whale holding a sign reading, "humans first." Yeah, I think "environmentalist wackos," as Rush Limbaugh terms them, can be a bit ridiculous.
Howbeit, this does not mean that I am indifferent about taking care of the earth.
I recycle, I flick off the lights when I leave my house, I turn off the water while brushing my teeth, I pick away litter, I carpool...; however, I am not interested in buying a hybrid, converting to solar-powered energy efficient light bulbs, nor petitioning to shut down a factory in this free-market society because nearby pecan trees died from pollution.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Right on sista! We recycle, clean up wherever we go, conserve electricity and other utilities, and raise up and promote responsible citizenry everywhere. BUT we do not worship the earth to the extent we put humans at risk of unemployment or even basic right to be born...for pete's sake!
That's so lame about your poster- liberals claim and demand "tolerance" but only if it follows their agenda and talking points. All other people are haters, bigots, homophobs, xenophobs, rascists, and intolerant. I think both sides of the aisle need to address the issues and facts and stop with the name calling. Too many people can only resort to name calling when they cannot logically argue their point. (And a lot of it is because they don't want to tell the public what is really behind their agenda.) Funny thing is, most peole are so short-sighted and narrow minded, that the name calling (and the passion it invokes inside of them) is enough for them to decide their opinion on the issue. Lame.
Some people really want to take care of the Earth, but most people in politics only jump on that band wagon because it bring them more power and helps them find another avenue to regulate the heck out of us and our lives.... oh yeah, and redistribute wealth.
Which brings me to another point. So many people have believed the propaganda we have been fed for so many years that the government can do no wrong, is unbiased, incorruptible and knows best- so if they make a law to take money from the rich and give it to the poor, then CLEARLY that law is better at doing it then a private industry engaging in the same practice. (Although a private industry would solicit funds from donating individuals, not take it via laws, from them.)
Private industries are only concerned with profits. So that's why they cannot be trusted. Right? That statement humanizes the government and corporations. Reason tells you that neither are living things. What most fail to realize is that government and corporations are composed of individuals. And it is the individual that is corruptible. If coroporations will be corrupt because they are only concerned about profits, then governments will be corrupt because they are only concerned about retaining power. Idea that governments are omniscient and fair debunked.
Post a Comment